This Crock-Pot Jambalaya is healthy comfort food, packed with three different proteins to satisfy your every need! It is complemented by veggies and served over rice. It is low cal and pumped with protein!
This recipe is comprised of Shrimp, Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage and Chicken! I used Jennie-O Turkey sausage because it is a much healthier alternative to your regular ‘ol pork sausage. This recipe has 245 calories, 9g of carbs, 8g of fat and 32g of protein per serving.
You can serve this over regular rice OR cauliflower rice as a healthier alternative. Whatever you serve it with be sure to add those stats to the ones mentioned above. If you are looking to splurge, serve this with Tostito’s Scoops and/or Cornbread. Yum!! If you are gluten-free and want cornbread, check out Bob’s Red Mill or Krusteaz Cornbread mix!
I add Cholula to my jambalaya but if you don’t really like spice then just leave it out! You can also substitute Jennie-O Sweet Italian Turkey sausage for Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage.
- Decase the sausage before browning. Click here for how to decase sausage.
- I brown the onions, chicken and sausage before adding to the crock-pot but if you are short on time you can skip this step.
- Do NOT add the shrimp until the last 5 minutes! Shrimp cooks extremely fast and no one wants shrunken rubbery shrimp!
- Make the rice/Cauliflower rice during the last 15 minutes or so, so that it is hot and ready to go!
Products I love to use when making this dish:
Calphalon Knives (expensive BUT worth it!)
Hamilton Beach Can Opener (I have an unhealthy obsession with this can opener!)
Low Cal, Protein Packed Southern Inspired Dish!
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cubed
- 1.25 lb Jennie-O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage, decased
- .75 lb raw shrimp (take tail/shell off before cooking)
- 2 cans no salt added diced tomatoes (2 14.5oz cans)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 10 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp hot sauce (I use cholula)
- 2 bay leaves
- rice or quinoa (I made 3 cups dry)
decase sausage and prep veggies. (click here for how to decase sausage)
in a large saute pan over med-high heat, heat olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add minced garlic for another 30 seconds.
add onion to saute pan for 1-2 minutes. add ground turkey sausage and chicken and brown meat for another 3 minutes. Please Note: The meat will not be cooked all the way through. You are just browning it before you throw it in the crock-pot.
while meat is cooking, put the rest of the ingredients into the crock-pot EXCLUDING THE SHRIMP!
add meat/onion mixture to crockpot and stir.
set crock-pot to High for 3 hours OR Low for 7 hours.
5 minutes before serving, discard bay leaves and put shrimp into the crock-pot. (make sure you take the tails/shell off!) Stir.
serve over rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa! Enjoy!