I have had my Keurig coffee machine since 2010! That’s right folks its now 2018 and my Cuisinart SS-10 Keurig coffee machine is still going strong! (click here to read about my favorite keurig machine!)
That being said, there have been quite a few times that I thought the machine was a goner. It wasn’t! All it needed was a little bit of tender loving care. I tell you step-by step on how to troubleshoot and fix your Keurig coffee machine (any Keurig model or type).
Sometimes the machine only needs minor resuscitation and not a full blown descale. Follow the steps below and keep going until the machine is brewing properly.
You can watch my YouTube Video below (or by clicking here) to see the steps visually.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Wet rag (I just use a paper towel)
- White Vinegar
Step 1: Unplug the machine! Just like your computer, the Keurig sometimes just needs a reboot! Unplug and let it sit for a minute or two. Plug back in and see if it’s working. If it’s still not working, proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Take out K-cup and try to run with just hot water to clear it out. If it still won’t run, proceed to Step 3.
Step 3: Unplug the machine. Take paperclip and clean entrance needle (see photo below). Take out K-Cup chamber and rinse that with water to remove any coffee debris. Put the K-cup chamber back in place. Take the wet rag and clean the entire K-cup area to remove any coffee grinds. Try to run the machine again with just hot water. If it’s still not brewing, proceed to Step 4.
Step 4: Descale the Keurig Machine.
- Fill the water chamber with half white vinegar, half water. Keep brewing with hot water (NO K-Cup inserted) until the entire chamber is empty. The vinegar/water combo helps to sterilize and clear any remaining debris.
- Fill entire chamber with just water. Keep brewing with hot water (NO K-Cup inserted) until the entire chamber is empty. This second cycle is to get rid of any vinegar remnants.
- Replace water filter and make sure the plastic filter holder is securely placed back into water chamber. (see my YouTube video below – or click here – for visual step-by-step.)
After going through all 4 steps you should be back in business and brewing your favorite coffee. If not, I suggest repeating all of the steps above for another cycle.
********DESCALE still showing on your machine?**********
- Try pressing the hot water button for 6 seconds to reset the machine. If that doesn’t work, press/hold down BOTH the hot water AND rinse button at the same time. At the end of the “brew” the descale message should disappear!
- After descaling, turn the unit off and unplug for 30-60 minutes. Then plug the machine back in, turn it on. When you go to brew the descale light should turn off. If not you might have a defective unit and should then call Cuisinart customer service directly at 1-800-726-0190.