Magic bars…. they don’t need an explanation. Just know that they are magical and you want one (or two). They are delicious and super easy to make. You literally just layer all of the ingredients on top of each other and bake!
- Cooking Spray: Spray the baking dish with cooking spray. Believe me, I have forgotten before and my biceps were bulging by the time I was done trying to cut them.
- A Good Knife: The key to these bars is a good knife. It is absolutely essential to getting these bad larry’s out of the baking dish. I love to use my Calphalon Santoku (click here to view/purchase) because it slices right through them (for the most part).
- Burnt Edges: No the edges aren’t burnt! This is the BEST PART. I used to cut it off when I first started making these and then I realized it was the condensed milk goodness. Don’t cut it off!
These bars are for dessert and are absolutely delicious but don’t trip. They are not healthy, however it’s all about balance and enjoying everything in moderation. This recipe yields approximately 32 bars. Each bar has 185 calories, 20g carbs, 10g fat and 4g protein. However, I shouldn’t even put that info in this blog because you are not eating these for the nutrition. You are eating them because you have to live a little and one or two won’t kill you a couple times a year!
These can easily be made gluten-free by using gluten-free graham crackers as shown in the photo to the right. Just place the graham crackers in a large ziploc bag and start smashing! You can use this same technique if you rather buy full crackers OR if you already have them on hand!
I know you will enjoy the heck out of these bars!
Products I love to use while baking this dish:
Cusinart Mini Food Processor (to chop nuts!)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick or 8 tbsp)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 can eagle brand milk (condensed milk)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (or your favorite nut)
preheat oven to 350 degrees. lightly spray 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
while oven is preheating, add stick of butter to 13x9 baking dish and place in oven until butter is melted.
chop nuts and get your toppings ready while waiting for butter to melt!
once butter is melted, CAREFULLY remove baking dish from oven and start layering in order of ingredients listed above. (graham cracker, choco chips, pb chips, coconut, condensed milk, nuts)
bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. The edges will start to turn brown but don't worry! it's not burning, thats the good stuff!
remove baking dish from oven and let cool. carefully slice magic bars into desired size. Enjoy! (store in an airtight container)