You’re on vacation! You’re in heaven with all of good food and tropical drinks you are consuming. No one can stop the fun! You’ve earned it!
Flash forward. You’re back from vacation and the guilt sets in because you gained 10 lbs. “Why did I blow all of my hard work?”, “I need to go on a diet asap!”, “I am going to eat chicken and rice for a month” etc etc. We punish ourselves because we were “bad”.
Well guess what. It doesn’t have to be like that. You can go on vacation, indulge in the local treats and not be punished when you get back. You just need to shift your mindset BEFORE you go on vacation and know that the key to success is “everything in moderation”.
It’s extremely important to enjoy yourself on vacation and still exercise self control. It’s true, you might never get this experience again. You paid a ton of money and sacrificed to get there so you should live it to the fullest. However, you don’t need to destroy your body in the process. We only get one vessel on this earth so we need to take care of it.
5 TIPS TO ENJOY YOURSELF ON VACATION BUT NOT COME BACK 10# HEAVIER BOTH MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY!
- Pack snacks. Bring nuts, protein bars and other dried snacks with you in your carry-on luggage.
- Book a hotel with a fridge/kitchenette. Better yet book through VRBO or Airbnb so that you have the opportunity to cook/prepare at least one meal a day at “home”.
- Walk to the local market and get some staples. Yogurt, fruit, bacon, deli meat etc. That way you can have a nice healthy breakfast at home or pack your lunch for after a long hike.
- Eat the local delicacies – it’s your duty! You might never get back to this city/country again. You must try what they are famous for. (Gelato in Italy, yes please! Baguettes & Cheese in France, on it!) Just make sure that the rest of your plate is filled with protein and veggies. Everything in Moderation!
- 50/50 rule. Normally its the 80/20 rule but on vacation I say 50/50. Just try to be healthy 50% of the time and you will be in good shape.
When my husband and I went to Hawaii we rented a condo through VRBO right on the beach in Lahaina. After we got the rental car our very first stop was Costco! We loaded up on eggs, bacon, yogurt, deli meat, etc. Every morning we would walk into town (walking, yay!) and get Hawaiian coffee and a homemade pastry from a local shop . We would then walk back to our condo and make eggs and bacon and have the homemade banana bread as a side. We were getting our protein and energy supply while still enjoying (and not depriving) ourselves of the delicious local pastries. We would go for a hike somewhere new everyday and pack sandwiches so that we made sure we had food while out and about. We would stop and pick up fresh pineapple and coconut candy at the huts on the side of the road. We were practicing moderation. We were eating healthy while still indulging in the local fare.
Remember – You’re on vacation and you worked hard to be there. So don’t beat yourself up or punish yourself for indulging. Just try to make healthy choices one decision at a time.